Word of the Day: slack-jawed
Adjective: slack-jawed (comparativemore slack-jawed, superlativemost slack-jawed)
- (of a person) With the mouth in an open position and the jaw hanging loosely, especially as indicating bewilderment or astonishment.
- (idiomatic, of a person) Unsophisticated or unthinking; dimwitted (=slow, simpleminded, stupid) in appearance.
- (idiomatic, dated) Overly talkative; indiscreet.
e.g.: 1. They sat slack-jawed, stunned, half-minded to believe this some hideous, incredible jest.
- (with the mouth open and the jaw hanging loosely): dazzled, dumbfounded, open-mouthed, stunned
- (unsophisticated; dimwitted in appearance): dopey, stupid, stupefied
- (overly talkative): big-mouthed